Jones Hand

Jones Hand

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Ward Arm and Platform 1870's

Hi Everyone

This Ward Arm and Platform came from Tasmania. She is complete with
Original Spare parts, Storage Box, Manual and provenance. She came from the family of Pearns - The Steam Threshing Contractors who for many years ran Pearns Steam World in Tasmania.
This was one of the very first Free-Arm style machines. They converted from a free-arm to a standard flat bed machine by a very clever built-in bed that lifted and clipped around the arm.
These machines were made by Edward Ward in London in the 1870's. Ward did make a few other machines but this is the one he is most well-known for. There was two models of the Arm and Platform machine. This is the second model which had a slightly different casting and a stitch length adjuster which the other machine did not have.


The front of the box was painted and Rob has carefully sanded a lot of it off to reveal the stencilling details underneath.

She is obviously quite a bit worn but still has a wonderful sense of character.

Cheers
Lynne and Rob








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a fascinating machine, especially the back view! It is a real contrast to the Britannia you showed recently.
Rather like what I can see of the quilt it is sitting on too.

PatchworkRose said...

The Quilt is a very early Michelle Hill Workshop I am thinking about 1995?? At quiltcamp Roseworthy
Cheers
Lynne
One day I need to quilt it!!

Anne-Mettes Oaser said...

Dear Lynne.
First of all I want to thank you for your nice comments in my blog. I have been visiting your lovely and very interesting blog before as we share hobbies. I love quilting and reproduction fabrics and I admire your wonderfull collection of old sewing machines. I "only" have to old ones.
I would love to see, what you are knitting as I don't know the yarn you wrote about in my blog. Althoug spring is on it's way here, I still knit socks and have just finished a scarf.
I wish you and your family a happy Easter.
Cheers
Anne-Mette